👋 A little about us
GitBook is a modern documentation platform. Our ambition is to empower technical teams by seamlessly integrating knowledge management into their existing asynchronous workflows. GitBook is now used by over 2M users and thousands of teams such as Adobe, Netflix, Apple, Snyk, and Google and backed by top partners such as P9 Capital, Notion Capital and Fly VC.
🤔 Why are we opening this position?
We are growing and focused on evolving our technical product capabilities along with our core team structures, processes, and practices. After more than doubling our revenue in 2021, we are on the lookout for a Software Engineer to join our Product and Engineering team and to be an integral part of our journey of rapid growth. 🚀
As a Software Engineer you will contribute to the product vision while developing an outstanding experience for our users.
🙌 What will you be doing?
You'll help us in our challenging mission to craft rewarding relationships between our product and our users.
- You'll participate in crafting a strong product driven engineering culture that places a heavy emphasis on product thinking throughout the entire development lifecycle to maximize user impact.
- You'll grow GitBook's impact on millions of users by solving technical product challenges of high scope and complexity .
- You'll leverage a product driven approach to crafting our unique, highly scalable solutions for complex systems with a serverless philosophy that drives our application.
- You'll own the implementation of new features from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- You'll contribute to the definition and be the advocate of our internal standards for style, maintainability and best practices.
- You'll provide mentorship for engineers to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers.
🛠 What environment will you be working on?
We’re working on a server-less architecture (using Firebase and Google Cloud services) in NodeJS and React (both in TypeScript). Here's our stackshare.io page to learn more about our stack.
How we work
Engineering works to continuously delivering value, focusing on shipping as a team. We use agile processes that work for us and experiment frequently. Our process runs on two week async "cycles" that emphasize leadership through ownership and operating in the open.
We leverage Kanban mechanisms that prioritize throughput, velocity, and impact to help us succeed in our mission to foster rewarding relationships between our product and our users. As a product focused organization, Engineering works in tandem with Product, Design, and Support to participate in crafting value throughout the entire product delivery process.
You will be valued for
- Your product-oriented mindset You are driven by creating values for our users, and not solely by solving hard tech problems. You have experience owning a project from concept to production, with a focus on the end user and final impact. You approach engineering with an empathy driven mindset that keeps a broader context when executing.
- Your teamwork You understand that value is created and delivered to users. You help the team operate openly and transparently, elevating the quality of documentation and our rigour. You grow through experimentation and lead with compassion, improving the organization and your teammates.
- Your technical experience You have experience working with TypeScript, React, NodeJS, and serverless architecture.
- Your engineering skills You have a solid understanding of how web applications are built and delivered to users. You are comfortable with topics such as performance optimisation, data synchronisation, and caching. Your experience in application monitoring and debugging will also be valued and it will be an added plus if you have experience with server-less infrastructure.